Box art fascinates me, much in the same way that movie posters do. They tell a story, highlight their selling points, and in many cases, feature copious amounts of cleavage. So what does Cryptic’s Star Trek Online box art tell us?
- Overall? It’s a snazzy piece of art, and I like it a lot. I think this is the sort of look that will help draw attention to the box on the shelf amid fantasy MMOs.
- You have a bit of different generations going on here — the classic Star Trek font, an updated version of the Enterprise model, a Next Generation/Voyager/DS9 outfit, and even a hint of more futuristic technology, such as the funky banana phaser there.
- The box is framed in the Starfleet icon, which, along with the white in the dead space, helps to recall back to last summer’s Star Trek film (which also used the same font for their promotion, by the way).
- As Ardua said, they’re heavily promoting the combat, make no mistake about it.
- The Klingons are obviously shoved into the background, but they’re still there. I kind of feel like the bottom right is giving me more of a Lord of the Rings/fantasy feel.
P.S. – If combat’s what you’re looking for, the ship combat looks pretty dang spiffy.