After a couple weeks in The Secret World, I’m starting to figure out this offbeat MMO. I thought I’d share some of my hard-learned lessons and tips in the hopes that it might save some of you frustration.
- As many have noted, you really want to have two weapons equipped, not just one. Work your way up the ability wheel so that you can get two finishers, one for each weapon. At that point, your DPS will greatly increase.
- There’s a really lovely self-heal ability in one of the Misc. trees. If your weapon builds don’t have a heal, this might be worth your while (and AP) to get. It’s like having a good health potion every 30 seconds, and it’s saved my bacon in so many fights.
- You can click on the same dialog option multiple times to continue a conversation on a topic. Once the conversational thread is exhausted, you’ll see a green check mark by the topic.
- Quests can be run again after a day goes by. It’s worth noting the quests that are quick and easy to do, because those might be good candidates for repeats.
- Explore! Going off the beaten path will reveal both lore objects and many side quests — and you always want to be doing side quests.
- Take your time. You want to be around QL3 in both weapons and gear by the time you leave Kingsmouth for the Savage Coast.
- Double-tapping a directional key does a dodge or roll. This is invaluable for tougher mobs that have “charge up” attacks with a specific radius or cone.
- Have a notepad and take notes from time to time. You’d be surprised how many details from earlier in the game come in handy later on.
- Shotgun turret is pure win. Live it, love it, learn it.
- Save up those sequins in the first area, but don’t start spending them until the second — QL3 gear isn’t hard to find, and the gear you can get in Savage Coast with these sequins is way better.
Of course, many of you have been playing longer or had different experiences — I’d love to hear your tips as well!