Even with juggling (or, some days, attempting to juggle) four games, I cannot remain faithful to these few in my mind. I’m just fascinated with MMOs in general, and there’s always so, so many more I’d be playing if I had the time. And I’m not just talking about a spare weekend — I’m talking “If I lived alone, had no jobs but infinite money, and possibly six or seven clones” time.
So since there’s no way I can add anything else to my plate right now without taking something off, I might as well just get it all out here on paper. If I had the time, here are ten additional MMOs I’d be playing right now:
1. Dungeons & Dragons Online: For all its user un-friendliness, there’s nothing *quite* like it in 3D MMO space — and nothing that is as “D&D”. The cross-campaign focus is pretty attractive as well.
2. Champions Online: Between City of Heroes’ impending demise and Champions’ third anniversary, I’m really tempted to roll up a new suit. I like that you can now purchase freeform characters from the shop for F2P instead of just archetypes.
3. Vanguard: Ah, free-to-play, you siren call you. This is a world that I’d love to explore, particularly with some of its more unique classes and diplomacy system, but it also telegraphs to me that it’s a time hog. And there’s no time for love, Dr. Jones.
4. Star Trek Online: I miss my ship and space combat.
5. Allods Online: With its recent expansion, Allods continues to increase its allure. If I was dirt-poor and this was the only F2P game on the market, I’m sure I’d be happy dithering about in it and nothing else. But it doesn’t offer much above what I’m getting in my current games.
6. Anarchy Online: I always return to AO like a boomerang of nostalgia. Maybe once again when/if the graphical update comes.
7. Fallen Earth: I always feel guilty when I think of Fallen Earth. I have a gut feeling it might not be long for this world right now, and it remains the best post-apocalyptic MMO out there. Ugh, if only, if only.
8. Magic Online: Not quite an MMO, but I mentally lump it in with the crowd nevertheless. I miss my Magic fix, and really wish they had something on the iPhone for it.
9. Pirate101 beta: And soon to come, Pirate101′s launch. I wish my kids were older, because I think we’d play this together.
10. Star Wars: The Old Republic: I want to see how my Bounty Hunter’s story ends. I might return with F2P to see how the game’s shaped up since I left. And I really wish I could just play the story quests and ignore the side quests. Maybe with loads of dungeon runs.
11. Glitch: I have a feeling that I need to give Glitch another chance, that this could really grow on me. And I have a feeling that if I did that, I’d find myself up until 2 am in the morning.