Although it’s been greatly assumed otherwise — and completely true, considering the information we’ve been given — Star Wars: The Old Republic’s bounty hunter class is the FIRST officially-announced class in the game. The Jedi and Sith are officially the main factions of the game, although there will most definitely be force-users on both sides. MMOCrunch worries that the Bounty Hunters will be Sith-only, which might cause unbalance (complete unbalance right now, considering they’re the only real class). But in lou of any other officially-announced classes, I felt the whim to speculate on what we might see, especially going back to KOTOR and KOTOR 2 as source material:
- Scoundrels – A physically weaker but more agile and crafty rogue-type character with lots of tricks up his or her sleeves (the Jedi’s answer to Bounty Hunters?).
- Droids – I can’t easily think of a MMORPG that lets you play as a robot. If SWTOR does, I’ll leap at the chance to follow HK-47 in his murderous, meatbag-slinging steps. Plus, upgrades would be visually awesome!
- Jedi Guardian/Sentinel/Consular – If you’ll recall, KOTOR 1 eventually forced you to pick one of three Jedi specialties, which translated into a Jedi who was more offensively-based, defensively or balanced between the two. The Sith could also have mirror classes to these three.
- Soldier – Because sometimes you just want to sling blaster shots and heavy assault rifles all over the place. This might be a popular class if they were allowed access to several types of specialized weapons that other classes couldn’t handle.
- Mercenary – Somewhat of a cross between a soldier and bounty hunter, perhaps. Might not be much of a difference in roles to justify one, unless it’s to be in the game instead of a soldier.
- Gray Jedi – A Jedi gone rogue from the Jedi counsel, being neither friend nor foe to either side.
- Scouts – Maybe… again, the measuring stick of TOR classes will always be Jedi. If BioWare can’t make a class seem as or more appealing than a Jedi, then they should scrap it.