Turbine Gets One XP

Experienced Player, that is.

I try not to bore my wife with too much gaming talk — sometimes she finds it interesting, but I suspect that she’s just being a good wife by listening without yawning overtly the rest of the time.  But she wanted to know why I was in a tizzy on Friday, and I explained the LOTRO F2P thing.

Then she said it, those magical words: “Huh.  Maybe I’ll have to play it with you, then.”

For her, entertainment comes down to a dollar amount.  She never buys a new novel knowing that she can find paperbacks of the same book at a garage sale next year.  She wouldn’t be playing WoW right now if I hadn’t bought her time cards as a gift — the same with her Reader’s Digests.  “Free” to her is a powerful, seductive word, and it cuts through red tape like no other.  If it’s free, we’ll do it, otherwise there’s a looooong discussion ahead.

So while I could never convince her to pay for a subscription to LOTRO normally, the notion that the game was going to let her play with me for free (with limitations) turned the tables instantly.  This fall, we’re planning on making a little Hobbit duo and I’ll show her around the world.  I can’t wait.

Advertisements

13 thoughts on “Turbine Gets One XP

  1. Goldenstar June 7, 2010 / 3:19 pm

    Very cool!!

  2. Scopique June 7, 2010 / 3:40 pm

    I tried to get my wife to play LotRO, and I guesa she liked it ok. Not enough to pay for it though. I hope to get her to try it again once it’s free.

  3. Capn John June 7, 2010 / 3:59 pm

    Like we have with Single Abstract Noun, I’m thinking we’ll have to set up (or get into) an LOTRO Fellowship for the Bloggers.

  4. Jeremy S. June 7, 2010 / 4:01 pm

    Awesome. Maybe I’ll stop by for second breakfast sometime.

  5. Jomu June 7, 2010 / 4:27 pm

    would she be up for you paying for her subscription to lotro, or the fact that someone paying for it sours it for her?

    it was the same thing for my gf and i; i was willing to pay for her sub to WAR but she didn’t want me paying for it.. and just plays on my acct 🙂

  6. sid67 June 7, 2010 / 6:35 pm

    If your wife is like my wife, then that FREE thing only applies to things she sees as idle entertainment. If it were something important — like shoes — then no expense is too high!

  7. Rog June 7, 2010 / 8:52 pm

    How far can she go in LOTRO before she ends up paying?

  8. Jeremy S. June 7, 2010 / 9:49 pm

    @Rog I believe it’s up to level 50 is open for free.

  9. Stabs June 8, 2010 / 12:57 am

    @ Capn John

    sounds like this payment scheme works better for Married Abstract Nouns.

  10. canazza June 8, 2010 / 2:16 am

    As soon as I heard LOTRO was going Free-to-play I decided to start playing again too. Unfortunatly I’ve forgotten my username (and thus, my CD Key is useless). I’ve contacted their support (twice) but it’s been a week and I’ve heard nothing back.
    If this is their level of support when they’re NOT Free-to-play, I’m unsure what It’ll be like when they change their pay model…

  11. lonomonkey June 8, 2010 / 7:51 am

    It’s rather up to level 20-25ish considering you only have the three starting zones open at first.

  12. Lexfire June 8, 2010 / 8:01 am

    It is all about breaking down barriers.

    The F2P model reminds me of the Wii introduction. When the Wii came out hard core console gamers, lets say 5% of the population, either ignored the Wii or pushed it off as a toy and focuses on the X360 versus PS3 console wars. The other 95% who had little or no interest in gaming found something about the Wii that made gaming perhaps let intimidating. The Wii broke down enough barriers so that the non-typical gamer became a gamer but most likely did not realize they became a gamer.

    In F2P for LOTRO the hope is that the 95% of gamers and perhaps non-gamers who never had any intention of ever playing LOTRO will at least download the game, give it a try now that the financial barrier has been removed. With new players comes new groupings, thats where the learning curve barrier is broken down.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s