It’s come to our attention that two upcoming fantasy titles, RIFT (aka “Rift” and “Rift: Planes of Telara” and “Rift: Shut Yo’ Mouth”) and TERA (aka “TERA Online” and “The Exiled Realm of Arborea”), are being confused with each other. We’ve noticed this happening quite often, most likely because (a) both are good-looking fantasy titles with non-descript IPs, (b) both have four-letter names and “Telara” sounds a bit like “TERA”, and (c) because we collectively have the attention span of squirrels.
So in the spirit of clearing up the air, here’s Bio Break’s Quick and Dirty Guide to Telling RIFT and TERA apart:
- Rift is a Western MMO being developed by Trion Worlds
- Tera is an Eastern MMO being developed by Bluehole Studio
- Both games are slated to hit North America in 2011
- Both games are using a standard retail box + subscription business model
- Rift is best described as a really well-done WoW-slash-WAR clone that has great emphasis on PvE
- Tera is best described as Aion meets Final Fantasy
- Rift’s big hooks are its mix-and-match class building system and dynamic world events and invasions
- Tera’s big hook is action (button mashing) combat
- Tera’s females are typical soft porn anime dolls and it’s very possible you will be sent to jail by the FBI if you play it in view of anyone else
- Rift does not send you to prison. It gives you a good game instead.