So the BioWare team semi-sneakily opened up pre-orders in the middle of the night (US-wise) for The Old Republic, which meant that was my #1 priority this morning after a healthy constitutional. A few points of note:
(1) The Collector’s Edition is $150, not the $175-$220 some of the news outlets predicted. So a bit less costly, but still way, way up there for a luxury video game purchase. And, yes, I picked mine up at Amazon this morning.
(2) I’m pleased to see that BioWare took a page from Trion Worlds by offering something less than a full-blown CE and more than a standard edition with its Deluxe Digital Version. DDV purchasers will get five fun in-game toys, while CE purchasers get those plus a couple more plus all of the physical goodies. It’s a good trade-off, especially if you don’t have the funds for the full CE.
(3) The early access is for the game proper (i.e. a head start) and not related in any way to the beta. So pre-orders aren’t a shortcut to get into the beta, sorry (not that I was concerned).
(4) I’m insanely curious what the CE “exclusive in-game store” will be selling. I think this is a major discussion amongst fans, but I wouldn’t hold out hope that it’s going to be Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory in terms of wonder and breadth.
(5) We are going to be projecting holo-dancers ALL OVER them mailboxes, yessir!
(6) I hope we hear from BioWare about pre-order numbers within the next week or so, because I want to know just how big of a crowd we’re looking at here.
So to wrap up, our expected SWTOR poll!