Perhaps it’s telling that the biggest thing that caught my attention yesterday in MMOs wasn’t anything to do with pandas, monks or pseudo-pokemon; it was a totally unexpected unboxing of Star Wars: The Old Republic’s Collector’s Edition. I didn’t think we’d see anything like this, because typically we never have in other games. Usually the bonuses are put out to players as a tempting, teasing list that isn’t big on specifics, probably because marketers know that our imaginations are going to hype these dime-store goodies to the Nth degree before we see them.
So it’s good to have a glimpse at this $150 monstrosity I’ve pre-ordered. I’m not convinced it’s *worth* $150 in what exactly you get, especially since I don’t care as much for the statue, but I’m happy that I have it on pre-order, so it’s worth it for the emotional factor for me.
After reading down the list — now with more descriptions! — and watching the short video, a lot of my curiosity has been sated in regards to the in-game items we’ll receive. A few additional thoughts:
- The flare gun looks neat. The holodancer is… eh. Both will be nice just to fool around with while you’re hanging out with friends, and in a few years having these will elicit “Hey, where’d you GET that?” tells from the newer players (much like having my vanilla WoW CE pets did when I was last in the game) (also, I just remembered that one of my WoW CE pets was a panda. COINCIDENCE? Yes.).
- I was hoping that the training droid would be a more useful combat pet, perhaps taking the place of a companion before you get your first one. But it looks as though it doesn’t do anything more than “visually mark your target” which will be helpful if I suddenly go blind and need some assistance.
- Having a free mount is nice. The STAP is still goofy-looking, however. I’ll use it, sure, but will be trading it in for a speeder bike when I get the funds.
- Holo-cam: I don’t get it. This lets us take screenshots? What, will the screenshot key be unavailable? Is there something more to this that I’m not seeing?
- Mouse droid is still cute.
The biggest news is what’s going to be in the exclusive CE in-game store. While they don’t give us any specific examples of items, we now know that there will be “social items” (cosmetic outfits? pets? trinkets?) and exclusive companion appearance options. The latter is attractive, since everyone’s going to want their companions to not look like everyone else, and having a few additional options in this regard is always welcome.
I also like how BioWare promises to be adding to the CE store over time, which is certainly welcome news — it’s kind of a Christmas gift that keeps on giving all year ’round. Since the CE store is the only in-game goody (other than the mouse droid) above and beyond what’s in the deluxe digital edition, I have expectations that it’ll be somewhat substantial. I guess we’ll know come December!
I’m wondering how BioWare’s going to handle the early access when it comes to these in-game items, however. Will the codes we’ve entered already tell the game we’re good to go, or will we have to wait until we get the physical box to activate these? Anyone know?