- Completely free
- Subscription-free (for the time being)
- Buy the box, play forever after for free
- Buy the box, play forever after for free — but there’s also a cash shop
- Free play… until you hit a level cap
- Free play with content behind pay walls
- Free play with microtransactions
- Subscription / free play hybrid
- Subscription / free play hybrid with microtransactions
- Free play with subscription tiers
- Subscription game with the ability to pay subscriptions through in-game efforts (EVE Plex, etc.)
Should one term be used to cover such a varied blanket of business models?
Should we be coming up with better terms for these different categories, and if so, what should they be?