Sometimes it’s difficult feeding into one’s altoholism when one can’t decide which alt to pursue (and no, “all of them” is not an acceptable solution). Case in point, my recent adventures in Lord of the Rings Online.
With my Captain having hit 85 and is mopping up the remaining quests and virtues in Rohan, I feel more comfortable experimenting with leveling another character. But picking one is proving difficult. Over the past month or so, I’ve started several different alts and fallen in love with a few of them. Depending on the day, I can convince myself that one is worthy of the monumental effort to level all the way up over the others — but that seems to change when tomorrow comes.
So I thought I’d make a little pros and cons list and put it to you all for advice. Right now I’m dithering between a Burglar, a new Lore-master, and a Minstrel. All of these suit my playstyle for different reasons.
- Pros: Fast casting, the bardic concept, killing people with bagpipes, the option to heal or go full-out DPS, playing as a Hobbit, relatively quick acquisition of class deeds, pretty group-friendly
- Cons: The class builds and legendary traits don’t seem that exciting, a little squishy, strong expectations to heal in a group setting
- Pros: The option to level a LM again and do it better this time, variety of pets, staff combat, jack-of-all-trades skillbase, crowd control
- Cons: Slow combat, stuck with a human, really slow acquisition of class deeds, very squishy at the start, hard to choose a good all-around pet for leveling
- Pros: Can control battles with stuns and crowd control, lots of DPS coming out of stealth and attacking quickly, more durable, rapid acquisition of class deeds, can play as a Hobbit
- Cons: Very narrow focus, I’ve never been that crazy about the high-pitched knife noises, not a lot of long-range options, stealth slows down the start of combat
By no means are these all of the pros and cons, just the ones that are probably the most important to me. For those of you who play one of these classes, what attracts you to that playstyle and how do they develop in the higher levels?