I’m not going back on the “mostly I avoid beta” stance, but I’ve been thinking about betas more lately, especially with the recent flap about WildStar’s patch notes being unofficially and then officially leaked. I guess the one thing that peeves me about beta testing and not being in it is that others have access to more information about the game than I do. I love having the full scoop and being behind the scenes rather than out in the audience.
So if I do go into a beta, almost always these are the five things I want to find out:
(1) How different is the actual game from the impressions the previews/dev hype/my own imagination? Above all else, I want my expectations to get ‘n sync with reality.
(2) A full rundown of all races and classes, along with any talent trees or whatnot.
(3) How combat functions and feels. One or two fights is usually enough to suss this out.
(4) The ins and outs of the UI. What standard features are there? What new or missing ones are there?
(5) The full map of the world. I really dislike learning about new MMOs one zone at a time through drips and drabs of official press releases. Let me see how many zones there are all at once and how they’re connected.
If I get all five of those down, my curiosity is usually more than sated.