As I move into the Savage Coast with my lowbie character in The Secret World, I’ve decided that while I like having a healing weapon, assault rifle is a little too similar to my shotgun character — and I don’t really care for chaos at all. So I’m starting to work on switching my toon over to an elemental/blood build, kind of making this my “magic” character in contrast to my heavy weapons character.
Unfortunately, I’ve bumped into the same thing that I’ve done before, which is that switching builds is a pain in the early TSW game. AP comes really slowly, and going to new weapons means that you need a lot of it plus SP plus the actual weapons (I’m up to Q3 right now). Not for the first time, I wished for an AP/SP reset last night.
I really don’t get why Funcom doesn’t allow this (or sell it in the store to earn more money, which would be a good thing for the studio, you’d think). Resets and respecs are pretty standard in MMOs, but there’s this fanatical dogma that persists in the TSW community that an AP reset would be, like, bad or something. It might cause a second apocalypse. It trains bad players. I don’t know, but I’m always dismayed by how much pushback there is on the forums when someone like me pines for an AP reset.
The argument against AP/SP resets generally go:
- TSW is a bit more of a hardcore game, so suck it up. Don’t be an entitled gamer.
- Funcom wants you to fill out the entire wheel eventually anyway.
- These points aren’t “wasted,” just invested — you can still use passives in any branch with whatever build you use.
- Getting AP is a breeeeeeze (this is always said by high-level characters who are trouncing across Transylvania or beyond).
- You can always go back and rerun missions to earn more AP.
- Funcom probably wants you to rerun missions to fill out the skill wheel to extend your interest in the game. Resetting AP might bypass that.
I’m sorry, but none of that really sticks. I have a character who’s finished with Transylvania and is occasionally running elites, and I still think that it’d be a good thing for the game to have an AP/SP reset. Why?
- It would have zero impact on other players. Seriously. Why would allowing me to reallocate my AP have any affect on your game experience or give me an advantage?
- While AP gain in the late game comes easy, in the early game — when you’re still figuring out builds and most likely to created a gimped character — it slowly, ever-so-slowly trickles in. Ergo, an AP reset would be of higher importance to early game characters who need it, not late game players who are already set in their ways.
- AP and SP points spent in other builds and weapons are wasted, for the most part. If you’re not using that weapon, that SP is of no current use to you. If you’re not using that weapon, you can’t use any of the actives that you might’ve spent AP in up to that point.
I internally cheered when I read what this poster wrote regarding this subject, because I agree 100%.
I think a good compromise would be to allow players to be able to reset AP/SP up through Blue Mountain — the final Kingsmouth zone. It’s here that players are still figuring things out, anyway, and might be switching between weapons. Kill the ability to reset once players enter Egypt, since the AP starts rolling in quicker after that point anyway. Alternatively, allow for a reset but put it on a really long timer.
It’s not a deal-breaker to deny a reset, but it could be a great olive branch to new players figuring out the game for the first time and a convenience for other players who are experimenting around with an alt.