I know I’ve touched on this before, but it’s kind of comical how all of the factions in The Secret World all pretend that they’re the ones “in the know” while the rest of the world consists of clueless sheep, but really? I think the factions are the ones deluding themselves. You really don’t think someone’s taking pictures with their cell of C’thulu eating New York or a giant metal golem stomping all over Egypt?
Anyway, TSW was big on the mind this past weekend as the whole Gilded Rage event whipped up. Tack on a double AP weekend bonus, and it drew players to these golden monsters like nerds to a reddit thread. As with the anniversary event, there were the same pros and cons:
- Really decent XP for a straight-forward activity
- Simplistic fight elements
- Fun rewards (for the most part)
- Community banding together to inform each other how to do the event and where the golems are
- Seeing a thousand “engagement” puns in the chat channel
- Oh em gee the laaaaaaggggggg
- SERIOUSLY, I SPENT 30 MINUTES FIGHTING THIS BOSS AND YOU GIVE ME FLARES?
- FLARES ARE SPARKLY POOP THAT DEVELOPERS HAND TO YOU AND EXPECT YOU TO THANK THEM FOR IT
- FLARES ARE LIKE WINNING THE PLAGUE IN THE MULTI-STATE $100 MILLION LOTTO
- FLARES HATE YOU AND EVERYONE YOU’VE EVER KNOWN
- Also, it was (dare I say it?) kind of boring
I did several of these fights on Saturday and Monday evening, netting me some black bullion, a golden necktie, a new pet, and a couple hundred AP. But even though these events get people together, they’re not ultimately successful in providing an experience on par with what TSW does best. It’s a mindless fight in which you can easily just jam on a key and watch a movie or read a book. I read two books. They were good books. It made me a little sad that I wasn’t going through as good of a story in TSW.
And I’m still a little fuzzy on why these golems — the security defense response of Argartha — are the bad guys. Aren’t they trying to defend Argartha from being invaded by the filth? I mean, I walk around Argartha these days and I feel quite uneasy seeing portals covered in that Venom black ichor and witnessing flying dragon-things swooping around. We should be fighting that, please and thank you very much.
Anyway, I think I’m done with Guilded Rage and will be continuing my quest to re-run Transylvania for AP and signets. Issue #8 really needs to get here fast.