For my return to EverQuest 2, I decided — perhaps against my better judgement — to take advantage of the current “here’s a free level 85 character!” promotion. I jacked up my Necro from level 25 to 85, getting a ton of goodies and a huge headache in the process. Seriously, the entire night was spent standing in one place while I tried to sort all of this out and access my long-term memories as to how this game operated.
I’m sure SOE’s thought of the trickiness involved with this, and perhaps it’s just more geared to people who know the game. There are a few smartly done aspects, such as giving you a potion that takes you to the Destiny of Velious area and handing you an entire level 85 gear set. But… egads, it was just too overwhelming.
Some games might be easier than others to jump in at a high level, but EQ2 is not one of them. In trying just to get my level 85 active, I had to:
- Sort through my inventory and get a headache trying to figure out what these potions are for
- Flick through tutorial screens
- Try — and fail — to find a mailbox to open my unread mail
- Unpack a lot of veteran crates
- Spend time running down my character’s stats
- Redo my character’s appearace
- Invest 280 AA points into skills and abilities that I either didn’t remember or had no idea what they were used for
- Make character build decisions without the information I needed to do it wisely
- Sort and rearrange four hotbars’ worth of skills
- Fly up in the sky on my pegasus mount and then dive bomb an ice flow a few times
I dunno. It just feels like too much and I’m fretting that I’ve screwed up a build that I had no idea how to make in the first place. I mean, thanks for the level 85 SOE, but I think that next week I’ll just slouch my way back to the beginning and create a fresh level 1 for this time around.