There’s no doubt that the ArcheAge beta is some kind of popular right now, and I have no reason to think that the launch won’t be a big event. Whether or not I’ll be playing is still up for debate, however, as it’s dependant on two factors: If free players will be able to obtain housing (last I heard Trion was talking about this) and if the studio will create a PvE-only server.
Because frankly I do not want to roll on one of the current servers. The community is downright toxic from many reports that I’ve been hearing, and I think that the griefing potential of PvP activities is contributing greatly to that. The downside to sandboxes: there are just so many more ways you can screw with other players than kill them in mindless combat. In alpha — where you had to pay $150 to get in, I might remind you — there have been stories of jerks trying to outdo each other and chat channels that must be moderated by Satan, or at least Jerry Springer.
I don’t want to be a part of that. If I’m going to play the game, I want to be able to explore the entire world without worry that someone would think it was funny to sink my trade ship an hour into a journey. So I went on the official forums (I know, I broke Syp Rule #1) to see if there was any movement for a PvE server. What I found was pretty illuminating in regard to the current ArcheAge culture as a whole.
You would think that a request for a PvE server would be met with a reasonable “why not?” from the community, but nope. There’s sheer hostility and panicked entreaties for the studio to do no such thing. It would ruin the spirit of the game! It’s not how ArcheAge is meant to be played! Don’t cater to those stupid carebears, we don’t want their kind in here — or if we do, they should be fair game!
“Let the people who like the pvp play on a pvp server and the people who like pve enjoy the immersive world of Archeage peacefully,” the original poster said.
- “In my opinion, ‘PVE server’ goes against everything that AA stands for.”
- “I am sure you can enjoy the game without actually PvPing as well. However, you’ll just have to be very careful and cautious. But hey, if you are in dire need of protection and don’t fancy fighting players yourself, you can always hire someone to protect you!”
- “Just hope not, the game is all about PvP, so Carebaears just don’t join ArcheAge”
- “PvP is integral part of the game and removing it makes the game pointless.”
- “TRION already knows it has a niche player base and will likely not deviate from PvP, which is what the majority wants.”
- “We need people who do not want to play on a PVP server on a PVP server, that way the ‘good guys’ will have someone to protect.”
- “If you’re in a sandbox, you should damn well be able to kick down sand castles in every area, rather than be unable to in certain areas.”
- “However, the core of the game is designed with the threat of PVP in mind. Without that element, you will be playing a broken game and you will end up getting bored of it very fast.”
- “They won’t create PVE servers even it that could give them 1000% more revenue because they don’t want the game to have PVE servers. Believe me when i say, if you hate your gameplay being interrupted by gankers, then don’t bother with this or any game that was created with PVP as its essence.”
- “It’s frustrating to be doing trade runs to get ganked by 5 higher level people. I can understand that. But it’s what this game is practically built on. The PvE aspect of the game isn’t very strong. “
It keeps going with all kinds of conflicting logic. I love the “we need you carebears to protect!” line because when have you ever seen “heroic” players defend those just trying to play the game they want? I’ll be ganked by both groups, morelike.
What I get from the anti-PvE crowd is that they are definitely threatened by the notion of a PvE server because that will take the gankees away from them. I mean, if your PvP server is so wonderful and contains the full ArcheAge experience, wouldn’t people WANT to play on it if given the choice? No, you know that they’ll choose to cut PvP out of their sandbox experience as when Trammel went live for Ultima Online. Having a PvE server isn’t threatening unless you know that it will be more popular and suck sheep away from your hunting grounds. I think these posters know that and fear it.
“Sandbox” doesn’t have to mean “always containing the threat of PvP.” If you like player conflict, it’s cool, and I am all for you having a place to do it. But I’d love to play in a sandbox world that doesn’t have it. So I’m holding out hope that Trion will evaluate the beta culture and create a server for PvErs. At least in my case, it will be a major deciding factor whether or not I’ll play, and I’m OK with saying that.