I have a terrible, incurable sickness, and its name is “altoholism.” Then again, you knew this already.
When I first came back to World of Warcraft earlier this year, I was devoted to only playing/leveling a single character. Ain’t got time for any more than that, especially if I was to play other MMOs, and focusing on a single character made sense as I was catching up on the past few years of the game’s development.
Fast-forward to July here and altoholism has started to rear its predictably delicious head. What was one character is now five: a hunter, a death knight, a druid, a shaman, and a warlock. All but the druid are level 100 and more or less ready to jump into Legion when the day comes. But the question that’s been vexing me is: which one?
Here’s the thing. I really, truly don’t have the time or even want to be playing more than one character, especially after Legion arrives. Sure, I might get around to the other four in the future, but I think I’d like the experience best if I just focused on a main and didn’t feel like I had to keep splitting my attention. So I’ve been thinking a lot about which character will take that finalist spot, and depending on the day it keeps changing.
This is why I really want the pre-expansion patch to land, just so that I can see the class changes and get a feel for how they’ll play and if any of the ones I currently like will either get a lot better or a lot worse.
Currently, my thoughts on each class’s potential:
- Druid: My enthusiasm for leveling a pure healing class has started to wane now that I’m the mid-60s. I still have a ways to go to get her to 100 and I don’t know if I’m so invested in her to do that. Lots of nice little things about the class but overall I’m not feeling it.
- Shaman: Hybrids rule and I love the current version of enhancement. Lots of useful pets, slamming melee, and heals/totems. It’s not at the top of my list right now but I wouldn’t pitch a fit if I was forced to make this my main. I love the look of my Druid in mail and swinging dual axes. Could well be a dark horse entry.
- Death Knight: Love the class with the pets and diseases, plus her Gnominess makes for a fun visual. Hearing good things about unholy DKs from Legion, and she’s already maxed out mining and engineering, plus she’s up to ilevel 700 gear. Feel like she’d be in a good place. Only dislikes are a lack of strong healing and the melee focus (I might be more of a ranged player at heart).
- Warlock: Used to main one and I like “Syperstar” so far. Actually really excited to see the new class changes since I am not a fan of metamorphesis. Depends how the whole pet parade turns out. Ranged is a plus, long cast bars are a minus.
- Hunter: The oldest character I still play and at the top of her class with professions and gear. Have a monkey with a hat. Excited about getting an artifact gun that also comes with a wolf pet, although word is that beast mastery takes a pounding in Legion.
I’ve been rotating through these to help make my decision, but again it’s probably going to come down to the pre-expansion patch to narrow it down to one. If it’s the warlock or shammy, I’m going to need to really focus on professions and perhaps take them through the whole of the Draenor storyline just for a sense of completion.
Anyone else struggling with which character they’re going to start the expansion with? And please sit on me before I make another alt!