As I continue to evaluate my summer gaming plans and figure out just what I’m looking for in MMOs these days, I think I’ve put my finger on one missing part of my diet: I miss dungeon runs. Specifically, I miss being a healer in dungeon runs.
I’ve been an off and on again healer in my MMO career, and when I am paired up with a fun class that works well and a game that has interesting dungeons, then I’m all over it. It’s just deeply satisfying to be part of a team and keep them alive for the run, feeling as though I’m fulfilling a unique role in the group. But I haven’t had this for a long while now, and I’m starting to feel the absence of this.
But where can I get this? Guild Wars 2 is not an MMO with your typical dungeon crawl and trinity, even with the last expansion. Plus, I don’t have a healing spec at the moment. So after drawing up a list of potential MMO candidates that would offer the healing class + dungeon crawling combo to my liking, here’s what I’ve come up with (along with my thoughts on each’s potential).
Lord of the Rings Online
- Never really thought about turning my Lore-master into a healing spec. Could do it with multiple spec options, though.
- Does anyone use the group finder for dungeons? Is it too late to get in on the dungeon scene?
- Would be cool to see this side of the game after having neglected it for so long.
- Better loot? Different cosmetics?
World of Warcraft
- I loved healing dungeons as a Druid and have the option of that class, a level 100 Shammy, or starting over (Monk, perhaps?)
- Great dungeons. Solid healing mechanics. LFG works wonderfully and healers get in quickly.
- Feeling more than a little burned out on this game at the moment, but maybe just concentrating on a healer would be a nice break.
- Don’t know if I have the energy to go through all of the Legion content again and the grinds.
- Have absolutely no idea what the dungeon scene is like in this game, although it is a D&D title, so I assume there is one beyond solo instances
- There’s, like, one healing class in the whole game, so I’m guessing they’re in high demand
- Perfectly suited to a pick-up-and-put-down mindless gameplay approach
- Still popular, still has a healthy population
Dungeons and Dragons Online
- Was reminded recently that dungeons here are pretty dang awesome and varied… and I miss that
- Never did healing in this game, though. Would have to really research a healing build.
- Worried about the low game population and fading presence. Feels like it might be “too late” to return.
Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Now that I think about it, I did do a spot of healing as an Operative. Could do that again, I suppose?
- Or maybe roll up a new class?
- Dungeons were kind of on the long side and not terribly interesting, which is why I stopped running them.
Final Fantasy XIV
- Would need to subscribe. Been thinking about coming back, with the new expansion and all.
- Group content in this game is fantastic and I had an absolute blast being a healer.
- Lots of dungeons. Probably rusty running them as a healer, but hopefully it would come back to me.
- Fairy healing pet! Love having a pocket healer
- People seem to run dungeons at all levels, not just at endgame, probably thanks to the game design.
Elder Scrolls Online
- Big unknown in terms of potential interest and quality, but that could work in its favor as a “new” experience
- People do talk about running dungeons — and often favorably
- The new Warden class has a healing spec, sounds a little Druidish
- I kind of miss RIFT! Always nice to return to it.
- Surprisingly awesome dungeon scene in this game and I really did enjoy healing… until I got in over my head with the newer expansion-level stuff
- Hated how there’s like one optimal Cleric build that everyone has to use or else get out.
- Also, healing fairy pets.
- Wouldn’t be the worst thing to finish up the newer expansion and reconnect with my guild.
- But could I really get a fun healing spec going again?
- Might need some more time away before returning, else I could hit that burnout wall again fairly quickly
Healing by numbers
Seeing as how this is my birthday week and all (May 31st, get your presents now before store shelves empty!), I’m feeling a little puckish and in the mood for an experiment. I’m going to spend at least one night working up a healing spec in LOTRO and seeing if I can find any groups to accept my sorry butt in an instance. If group content in this game is dead, so be it, but if not and I can heal every now and then, I’d actually be all for that.
I’m also probably going to resub to FFXIV, at least for a month, to get the lay of the land and see if I remember to heal and all that. Might be the time to reconnect, although I’m kicking myself that I never wrote down the name of the guild I was a part of right before I quit. They were insanely friendly, if I recall. Oh well, if anyone has any guild recommendations on Cactuar, let me know!