Every once in a while I find it helpful to take a bit and organize, especially when you’re trying to tackle a large project (even an entertainment project). I have a list of books to read/to buy, a queue for TV shows to watch, a folder that has all of my new music to sort, and so on. Time to do the same for games!
I recently flipped through both my GOG and Steam libraries to figure out, time permitting (and it never is), which games I would like to play or sample before the year is done and for what purpose. These don’t, for the most part, include MMOs or any games I have yet to buy. Here’s what I came up with, ordered from highest priority to least:
- Fallout 4 – Yeah, the recent Fallout 76 hype is pushing me hard to playing this again — and maybe beating it this time. The only question is, can I hold out in Pillars of Eternity long enough to get that done before Fallout fever takes over?
- Wasteland 2 – I got this so long ago and only recently loaded it. Think it would be an interesting contrast to playing Fallout and might get me hyped for Wasteland 3.
- Alone in the Dark – Freaked me out as a kid. Time to go back and face my fears.
- Elite: Dangerous – I bought this on sale over Christmas and have been promising myself that I would give Frontier’s space sim a try. Needs to happen, people!
- Day of the Tentacle Remastered – Never played this adventure game (le gasp) and I think it would be a great retro games entry.
- D&D Pool of Radiance – Another promising retro games series. Heard it’s a classic and would like to give it a go.
- Oxenfree – Got this for free (I think) and it looks moderately interesting as a thriller adventure title.
- Divinity Original Sin II – Really need to carve out some serious time to get through this after having sampled the start. Looks good but some other RPGs are taking priority.
- Shadowrun: Dragonfall – Picked this up on sale a while back after seeing really strong reviews for it. Would be my first Shadowrun game, in fact.
- Stronghold HD – I played this briefly back in the day and wouldn’t mind doing one or two sessions for retro gaming.
What titles are on your backlog that you’d like to play or beat in 2018?