When Steff’s away, the Bards will play… Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, that is! The current beloved MMO of bloggers and gamers alike, FFXIV’s rebooted soundtrack has made us take notice. With the help of guest host Scott (Ramblings of a MMO Gamer Guy), we tackle the highlights of this impressive score while trying to ignore the smell of chocobo poo.
Episode 47 show notes
- Intro (featuring “Prelude — Rebirth” and “A World Apart”)
- “Guildleve Theme/Tenacity”
- “Ramuh Theme/Thunder Rolls”
- “Defender of the Realm”
- “La Noscea Field Theme/On Westerly Winds”
- “Gridania Night Theme/Dance of the Fireflies”
- “Thanalan Field Theme/To The Sun”
- What did we like the best?
- Mail From Zulika Mi-Nam
- Outro (featuring “A Victory Fanfare Reborn”)
Listen to episode 47 now!
I’d never listened to the EQOA soundtrack before, and instead of receiving MIDI blips, I got this epic, moving score. This piece in particular is quite stirring!
It’s been 10 incredible years since EverQuest II launched and players not only stepped into this version of Norrath but first heard the tunes of composer Laura Karpman. Join the Battle Bards for a special interview with Laura, who knows just so, so, so much more about music than the rest of us.
We also had several audio glitches in this cast, so bear with us!
Episode 46 show notes
- Interview with composer Laura Karpman featuring the following EverQuest II tracks:
- “Main Theme”
- “Tower of the Drafling”
- “Isle of Refuge”
- “Thundering Steppes”
- “Nektropos Castle”
- “Clefts of Rujark”
- “Poet’s Palace”
- “Silent City”
Listen to episode 46 now!
I like the Stomp-esque percussion in this track. Or Blue Man Group. I don’t mind tracks that are primarily percussion if it’s a good, catchy beat, which I feel that this is.
Western meets science fiction with this toe-tapping tune. It’s a little industrial but that lends it a raw edge that I rather like, and sets off nicely against the synth portions.
Such an energetic track and totally worthy of being in a major kids motion picture, methinks.
This week the Bards have invited long-time friend and listener Belghast to join them — and to pick the topic for the show! Bel picked a fun and unusual theme: Rocking out with electric guitars. Do MMOs and rock mix? On this particular episode they do!
Episode 45 show notes
- Intro (featuring “Blue Turns to Grey” from Tabula Rasa, “Battle on the Big Bridge Reborn” from FFXIV, and “Prologue” from Castlevania SOTN)
- “Titan Battle Theme” from FFXIV
- “Alonewolf” from Rusty Hearts
- “Toko” from Granado Espada
- “Character Select/Map Load” from Heroes of the Storm
- “New Conglomerate Main Theme” from PlanetSide 2
- “Malicia’s Finale” from DDO
- “Lucid Dreaming” from Aion
- What track did we like the best?
- Mail from Akiranon
Listen to episode 45 now!