When it comes to talking about the music from the original NES, everyone seems to always reference the same games. But what about those “other” titles with interesting and memorable soundtracks that get ignored? In today’s show, Syp pulls out 10 offbeat NES music tracks that you might have never heard of — but definitely should! Buckle up, Retro Reprise is about to go off the beaten path and into the wild unknown!
Episode 12: Offbeat NES music tracks (show page, direct download)
- “Theme” from Rambo
- “Theme” from Pictionary
- “Coralcola Village” from StarTropics 2
- “Duel” from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- “Towering Catastrophe” from Monsters in my Pocket
- “Running Through the Blue Fields” from Strider
- “House Theme 3” from A Nightmare on Elm Street
- “Good Weather” from Mr. Gimmick!
- “Salvage Chute” from Bucky O’Hare
- “Strange Woman” from Uninvited
- Outro (“Mini-Game” from Pictionary)
Is it even possible for pure joy to be derived from MMORPG music? Whether or not, the Battle Bards are going to take a serious stab at it in today’s episode! Each piece is hand-picked and home-brewed to distill joy for the listener, coated in sparkling hopes and drizzled with fond memories. No matter what, you’re in for an uplifting show!
Episode 102 show notes (show page, direct download)
- Intro (feat. “Maple Island 1” from MapleStory 2, “Life Abundant” from Stargate Worlds, and “Farm” from Free Realms)
- “Village Theme 1” from ArcheAge
- “Sunlight of Morning” from Aion
- “Plotting Our Course” from WildStar
- “Sunnyside” from Granado Espada
- “Party in the Shire” from LOTRO
- “To Start a Journey” from Star Wars Galaxies
- “Lakeside” from Cabal Online
- Which one did we like best?
- Jukebox Picks: “Main Theme” from Dead Space, “Hot Pursuit” from Gravity Rush, and “Grazelands Dawn” from Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind
- Outro (feat. “Home Sweet Home” from RuneScape)
As the Battle Bards cruise into their second hundred episodes, it’s time to cover a very long-lived fantasy MMO from 2002, Ragnarok Online. The game has an… interesting soundtrack and a devoted following in some circles, but as the crew discovered on today’s show, the score is not without its criticisms. It’s time to kick summer vacation to the curb and trumpet another parade of MMO music!
Episode 101 show notes (show page, direct download)
- Intro (feat. “Aplen Rose” and “Theme of Alberta”)
- “Theme of Lutie”
- “Splendid Dreams”
- “March with Irish Whistle”
- “Dream of a Whale”
- “Sleeping Volcano”
- “Antique Cowboy”
- “Christmas in the 13th Month”
- Which one did we like best?
- Mail from Frotierkilla
- Jukebox Picks: “Meet Tiki and Mermaid” from Dragon’s Crown, “Devil’s Swing” from Bendy and the Ink Machine, “Drake’s Theme” from Uncharted
- Outro (feat. “Erebos’ Prelude”)
Syp returns to the 8-bit era as he counts down his top 10 favorite Gameboy tunes. It’s a harder task than you think, considering how long the system was out and how many great games and soundtracks were created for it! Chances are he’ll ignore your favorite, but it’ll be a fun show nevertheless with lots of cheery and catchy tracks. What’s your favorite?
Episode 11: Top 10 Gameboy tunes (show page, direct download)
- “Theme” from The Smurfs
- “Staff Credits” from Metroid II
- “Town of Albano” from Lufia: The Legend Returns
- “Battle of the Holy” from The Castlevania Adventure
- “Stage 1” from TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan
- “Ripe Seeds” from Castlevania II
- “Theme” from Monster Max
- “Type B” from Tetris
- “Tal Tal Heights” from The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
- “Birabuto Kingdom” from Super Mario Land
- Outro (feat. “Cave Stage” from Turok 2)
After four years and over 700 MMORPG music tracks, the Battle Bards have arrived at their 100th show! For this centennial spectacular, Syl, Steff, and Syp reminisce about the most notable shows, their best soundtrack discoveries, and their favorite tracks. This super-sized show gets wrapped up with a bout of listener emails and a promise of another amazing hundred episodes!
Episode 100 show notes (show page, direct download)
- Intro (feat. “A New Hope” from FFXIV, “Bard’s Guild” from EverQuest, and “First Light” from Guild Wars)
- Favorite Soundtrack Discoveries over the past four years
- Steff: TERA (“Sanctuary” and “Godspeed”), League of Legends (“Braum” and “Demacia Rising”), and World of Warcraft: Legion (“Lion’s Rest” and “Anduin”)
- Syl: Runes of Magic (“Veranas Bridge” and “Traveling Tale”), Dragon’s Prophet (“Auratia” and “Candlelight”), and Ultima X Odyssey (“Town Life” and “Rule City”)
- Syp: Lineage 2 (“Praise the Victorious Knight” and “Talking Island Village”), WildStar (“Bandits, Thieves, and Epic Loot” and “A Story of Hope and Healing”), and RuneScape (“Horizon” and “Arise Legend”)
- Favorite single MMO tracks
- Syp: “Freedom Theme” from City of Heroes
- Steff: “Legacy of Romulus” from Star Trek Online
- Syl: “Tidecaller” from League of Legends
- Syp: “Spiritual Elysium” from Anarchy Online
- Steff: “Sillus Mountains” from Aion
- Syl: “Wolf at the Gates” from World of Warcraft
- Syp: “Wailers and Waterwheels” from FFXIV
- Steff: “Hills of the Shire” from LOTRO
- Syl: “City of Tarir” from Guild Wars 2
- Syp: “Smooth” from WildStar
- Steff: “Sleepless Lullaby” from The Secret World
- Syl: “Make Zone” from Lime Odyssey
- Syp: “Peace, The Jedi Consular” from SWTOR
- Steff: “Little Shepherd” from Blade and Soul
- Syl: “Danaria” from Aion
- Segment C: Listener feedback
The Battle Bards are on vacation at a tropical beach paradise! In the team’s 99th episode, they examine beach, resort, and island music cues from MMORPGs. Can it still be a resort when everything around you is out for murder? As long as the music is this good, who cares?
Episode 99 show notes (show page, direct download)
- Intro (feat. “Maple Island 1” from MapleStory 2 and “Castaways” from World of Warcraft)
- “Starter Beach” from Wonderland Online
- “Dolphin Island” from Rose Online
- “Costa del Sol” from FFXIV
- “Caribbean Port” from Pirates of the Burning Sea
- “Oceania Town” from Uncharted Waters Online
- “Port BGM” from Lime Odyssey
- “A Tropical Getaway” from WildStar
- Which one did we like the best?
- Jukebox Picks: “Run Program” from Tron Run_r, “Theme” from The Tenth Line, and “Oakvale” from Fable
- Anniversary note
- Outro (feat. “Palmgil Oasis” from Aura Kingdom)
Perfect World — it’s not just a massive games publisher, it’s also an MMORPG! The team at Battle Bards timidly tiptoe into this unknown soundtrack, not sure of what may lurk around the next bend. Is it a hot pile of suck? An undiscovered gem? Forgettable fluff? We’re not going to tell you in the intro here, you’ll have to listen along with us to find out!
Episode 97 show notes (show page, direct download)
- Intro (feat. “Rising Tide Theme” and “Frostcovered City”)
- “Fly With Me/Etherblade City”
- “Plume City”
- “City of Raging Tides”
- “Descent Theme”
- “Genesis Theme”
- “Cube of Fate”
- Which one did we like the best?
- Jukebox Picks: “Main Theme” from Horizon Zero Dawn, “The Capital with a Beautiful Lake and the Holy Sword” from Tales of Zestiria, and “Caprice” from Morrowind
- Anniversary show incoming!
- Outro (feat. “Everywhere”)