When Steff’s away, the Bards will play… Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, that is! The current beloved MMO of bloggers and gamers alike, FFXIV’s rebooted soundtrack has made us take notice. With the help of guest host Scott (Ramblings of a MMO Gamer Guy), we tackle the highlights of this impressive score while trying to ignore the smell of chocobo poo.
Episode 47 show notes
- Intro (featuring “Prelude — Rebirth” and “A World Apart”)
- “Guildleve Theme/Tenacity”
- “Ramuh Theme/Thunder Rolls”
- “Defender of the Realm”
- “La Noscea Field Theme/On Westerly Winds”
- “Gridania Night Theme/Dance of the Fireflies”
- “Thanalan Field Theme/To The Sun”
- What did we like the best?
- Mail From Zulika Mi-Nam
- Outro (featuring “A Victory Fanfare Reborn”)
Listen to episode 47 now!
It’s been 10 incredible years since EverQuest II launched and players not only stepped into this version of Norrath but first heard the tunes of composer Laura Karpman. Join the Battle Bards for a special interview with Laura, who knows just so, so, so much more about music than the rest of us.
We also had several audio glitches in this cast, so bear with us!
Episode 46 show notes
- Interview with composer Laura Karpman featuring the following EverQuest II tracks:
- “Main Theme”
- “Tower of the Drafling”
- “Isle of Refuge”
- “Thundering Steppes”
- “Nektropos Castle”
- “Clefts of Rujark”
- “Poet’s Palace”
- “Silent City”
Listen to episode 46 now!
This week the Bards have invited long-time friend and listener Belghast to join them — and to pick the topic for the show! Bel picked a fun and unusual theme: Rocking out with electric guitars. Do MMOs and rock mix? On this particular episode they do!
Episode 45 show notes
- Intro (featuring “Blue Turns to Grey” from Tabula Rasa, “Battle on the Big Bridge Reborn” from FFXIV, and “Prologue” from Castlevania SOTN)
- “Titan Battle Theme” from FFXIV
- “Alonewolf” from Rusty Hearts
- “Toko” from Granado Espada
- “Character Select/Map Load” from Heroes of the Storm
- “New Conglomerate Main Theme” from PlanetSide 2
- “Malicia’s Finale” from DDO
- “Lucid Dreaming” from Aion
- What track did we like the best?
- Mail from Akiranon
Listen to episode 45 now!
We’re working hard — really hard — on continuing the work and legacy that we established with Massively, although as you might imagine it’s difficult to pull something like that off in just a week’s notice.
So while we get everything into place, there are a few things you can do to stay in touch:
1. Follow the brand-new Massively Overpowered twitter feed: @MassivelyOP
2. Subscribe or bookmark the Massively OP Podcast page! I’m very excited to get the new podcast off of the ground.
3. There’s a Facebook page as well as a new Twitch stream.
4. And, oh yeah, the eventual website. Coming soon(tm)!
With Steff out of action for a few shows, Syp and Syl are left floating adrift in a sea of TERA tunes. This week the Battle Bards will be treading the waters of this high-fantasy MMO soundtrack, finding the best and most interesting picks to discuss. And then they drown. The end.
Episode 44 show notes
- Intro (featuring “Awakening” and “Sailor’s Horn”)
- “Elinu’s Dance”
- “The Children of Karas”
- Which track did we like the best?
- Mail By Armagon
- Outro (featuring “TERA Nova”)
Listen to episode 44 now!
Apparently I need to stop making people cry, so here’s some uplifting news: I was a guest on Braxwolf’s Beyond Bossfights podcast recently, and the episode has just gone live today. Brax and I had a great conversation about blogging and games journalism, which is slightly ironic considering all of the developments as of late.
I really enjoyed doing the show, especially to connect with Brax as I did not know him that well before. Super nice guy and very passionate about MMOs. Give it a listen!
This week is an… unusual episode for the Battle Bards, but a fun one nonetheless! The challenge was sent out for each of the bards to pick one song apiece for his or her co-hosts. Will they like them? What do these picks say about how the bards see each other? Will there be a throw-down before all is said and done? Find out!
Episode 43 show notes
- Intro (featuring “Air Stream” from Myst Online, “Continuum Alpha” from Neocron, and “Honesty to Oneself” from Ultima Forever)
- From Steff to Syp: “Shinies” from WildStar
- From Syl to Steff: “Cheerful Festival” from Blade & Soul
- From Syp to Steff: “Elven Dhalia” from RuneScape
- From Steff to Syl: “Main Theme” from Monarch
- From Syl to Syp: “A Pinch of Madness” from WildStar
- From Syp to Syl: “Protector’s Enclave” from Neverwinter
- Were there any surprises?
- Mail from Plato Aly
- Outro (“What does the Lopp say?”)
Listen to episode 43 now!